What to Look for in a Self Help Book
Improving ones personality and how one approaches the things around him or her requires self help. The friends and families around you are only there in order to suggest things that they think is right. However, it is up to you to make that change possible.
In that sense, we have turned to different sources of self help over the years, but the most common among them are self help books. These are book bound papers that offer suggestions that might help you with your everyday living. It can range from any aspect of our lives. In addition, it can be fairly easy to make since most of it is opinionated. This is the reason why there has been a steady increase in the number of these kinds of books.
Here are some things that you need to consider when choosing your own self help book.
1. Know the author. Check who the writer first. Scan through their credentials regarding the topic, including real life experiences.
2. Think of it as a psychotherapy session. This means that the book should not only be a good read, but also follows some of the principle that creates a good therapy. Examples of these are the following:
- Makes you feel that you and the book are in a relationship
- Develops the relationship by making it better as it goes along the way
- Maintain the relationship, keeping you hooked with interesting point of views
3. A book is still a book, so it should still be well written
4. Decide whether the book is motivating enough
5. Never be afraid to be critical about what you are reading
These are some of the considerations that you need to think of when buying a self help book. If you are able to go through all these, you may find that you will have an enjoyable read with a lot of feelings that makes it all the more satisfying.